Monday 26 August 2013

Gift ideas - easy peasy candle making

Have a go at making some homemade candles as gift ideas.
You can even melt old candles down and get quite creative with layering, etc!
 
Rose scented teacup candles
 

 
Kitchen candles
 
So on this blog back after Christmas 2011, I said that I received a candle making kit and planned to make some gifts. It only took a year and a half to do!  I really wish I had started earlier.
 
I recommend buying a few things first:
 
- I bought a pan to melt my candle wax in. I found it in a charity shop.  There is no chance I would risk using any of Nicks pans!!
 
- I also picked up some tea cups and saucers from charity shops (thrift stores) that I thought would make good gifts.  The French tins are from cassoulet that we bought last October.  I thought the labels were adorable so saved them to make my kitchen candles.
 
- aromatherapy oils.  I used rose oil for the tea cups and bergamot and lemon for the kitchen candles.
 
- these wicks below.  I got these in a craft shop.  It meant I didn't have to worry about tying them up.


- These held the wicks still and helped me keep them central. Perfect for the cups and tins.

 
My candle making kit explained how to melt the candle wax pieces in a pan over a larger pan of water.  You MUST NOT let the wax boil so keep an eye on it. 
 
Make sure you put your wick in your container in the centre so that the wax melts evenly when the candle is lit.
 
Once there are no more solid pieces, add the aromatherapy oil.  Make sure you mix it in as I noticed the oil at the bottom of the pan and last to go in my containers.
 
Pour the wax into your containers.  Leave a couple of cms from the top.  Once the wax has set, trim the wick to just below the level of the container.
 
 


And there you go!!
 
Another Christmas gift ready.  SO cheap and homemade!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment