Sunday 1 September 2013

Summer Squash Pesto Bites - perfect for canapes

I am so pleased with this appetiser idea! 
(Summer squash look like - and are really - yellow courgettes.  They have a taste of pumpkin, though, and the seeds are scrummy!)

 
We had some cold meats to serve and these added another texture and flavour.  Please note - these were the first of our tomatoes to grow!! 4 sweet red baby plums :)
I posted a recipe for my homegrown arugula/rocket pesto in July.  I put it in the freezer, as promised, and I planned to enjoy it in the colder months but I had a brainwave for an appetiser idea.



Nick cut the summer squash with a mandolin for me.  If you don't have one, just try and cut the vegetable thinly and evenly.



Chargrill the pieces until they are just golden.  I love the lines created by the pan.  Don't grill them too much otherwise the seeds come loose and the squash becomes too floppy.

Let the squash pieces cool down.  Nick some cling film (plastic wrap) over the bowl while we went to water the garden, which could have made them too wet.  They turned out ok but next time I would let them dry a little.

Lay them out and use a teaspoon to spread some pesto on each one.



Roll them up and stand in a cluster to serve with your cold meats.

 
They are cool and nutty with the mixture of squash seeds and pine nuts.
My Mum LOVED these, which is a good compliment!

No comments:

Post a Comment